Women and environment are the two important pillars for the healthy existence of a society. Owing to the same belief, under the IndiGo Shakti initiative, we have partnered with Seven Sisters Development Assistance (SeSTA) to reach out to 3000 women selected from the poorest blocks of Jirania and Mandai of West Tripura district with a high concentration of SC, ST and OBC families.
Through this initiative, we aim to make these women understand and educate them on the optimum utilisation of limited resources such as land, water, and forest to ensure sustainable agricultural productivity.
The key objectives of the project are:
- Focusing on the capacity and skill building of the selected 3000 women.
- Institutional development of these women farmers to get them involved in decision making. This involves dividing the beneficiaries into Self-help Groups (SHGs) and Producer Groups.
- Building their capacity through training programmes and workshops at regular intervals.
- Undertaking the Integrated Natural Resource Management (INRM) across 16 villages where a holistic village developmental plan is made and implemented for the development of land, water and forest resources.
- Promoting sustainable livelihood models around agriculture, horticulture and livestock for income enhancement of the participating family by an estimated Rs. 50,000 per annum.