Posted 21 June 2022
Top five famous carnivals to witness across the world
A way of celebrating life and connections with loved ones, carnivals are forever lively and bustling events where people gather and perform various types of dance forms, play pulsating music, and parade on the streets. With high spirits, people in the parade wear colorful masks and costumes. Some even paint their faces in vibrant colors. Indisputably, one can witness many unique traditions and culture of a city during carnivals.
If you are willing to witness famous carnivals around the world, then follow the below-mentioned list of some of the craziest events.
1. Farsang Carnival in Budapest, Hungary
Popular as the capital city of Hungary, Budapest is also well-known for hosting the world-famous carnival, Farsang. It is listed among the biggest carnivals in the world. This carnival is full of life and comes with a series of masquerades, ball dance and music performances and parades.
During the carnival, a total of five different festivals are organized in the city:
- Mangalica Festival:Mangalica Festival Budapest is the event where people can enjoy gastronomical delights, especially the Hungarian breed pig meat that is known to be healthier as compared to the regular pork. Not only this, one gets to taste special pork dishes too. Tourists can also enjoy other delicacies and exotic beverages here. The entry to this fest is completely free.
- Farsang carnival:Another fest that is celebrated during the Farsang carnival week is the International Circus Festival. This event is organized in alternate years. Performers from different parts of the world come to participate in this carnival and showcase their dance, gymnastic acts, and perform other incredible things like fire eating and stilt walking that will leave you awe-struck.
- Busojaras in Mohacs Festival:The third festival that is celebrated during this carnival is known as Busojaras in Mohacs. For this event, people come together and parade in frightening masks and costumes as a symbol to scare away the invading Turkish forces. This noisy parade offers huge feasts and ball dance parties along with beautiful fireworks and bonfire signals.
- Masked Ball Festival:The Masked Ball festival hosts a ball dance where people come together in colorful costumes and masks and celebrate for the better days in the country.
- Fat Thursdays Festival: Fat Thursdays is majorly a feast-day celebration as the restaurants in the city open their doors for one final celebration with mouth-watering dishes and fine wines. The popular local delicacy of the city which is known as Carnival Doughnut is served with exotic beverages. With these joyful fests, one cannot miss to explore and witness the culture of the city.
Besides, the city features architectural wonders of the 19th century. The city is home to some of the most popular tourist attractions in the country, such as Buda Castle & Castle Hill, St. Stephen Basilica, Fisherman’s Bastion, The Danube Promenade, Gellert Hill, and Museum of Fine Arts. These places witness a number of tourists every year.
2. Diwali Carnival in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
The popular Indian festival of Diwali is celebrated in Ho Chi Minh, which is a city in Vietnam. It is celebrated in this city to build up Indian culture among the international brethren. Notably, Ho Chi Minh city in Vietnam is the first city to celebrate this Indian festival on a wide scale. The carnival is organized by the Indian Business Chamber in Vietnam. Many people across Vietnam join in the carnival and celebrate the festival with enthusiasm as they parade around the city of Ho Chi Minh, light up candles, and decorate the streets with lights.
This Diwali carnival in Ho Chi Minh is among the list of some of the most famous carnivals around the world.
- This carnival not only lets you witness how Diwali is celebrated and what are the unique traditions of this Indian festival, but it also brings the Indian and Vietnamese citizens together as one. Every year, numerous tourists visit the city to witness and experience this cultural festival that is full of lights and joy. While the people parade together, they also play trumpets, drums and several other musical instruments that make the carnival even more energetic. After the energetic parade in the city, the people can enjoy free drinks, participate in lucky draw games, and try out Indian cuisine.
- The event is organized at the ballroom of Vinpearl Luxury Landmark 81. Whether you are visiting with your special someone, friends or family, this is a must-attend event if you are in Vietnam during the carnival. And, if you are with your cute and playful kids, then they will surely enjoy the music and dance along with colorful faces and costumes in the parade. Moreover, while walking with the parade around the city, you will get the opportunity to explore the streets and witness the lifestyle of Vietnamese people.
Besides participating in the carnival, thousands of people visit the city every year to explore its amazing tourist attractions like War Remnants Museum, Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theater, Thiên Hậu Temple, Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica of Saigon and the Post Office, Saigon Opera House, Reunification Palace, and Ben Thanh Market & Saigon Square.
3. Notting Hill Carnival in London, United Kingdom
London is a popular tourist destination that witnesses thousands of tourists every year. The city streets come alive in August every year when the joyful event, Notting Hill Carnival is hosted. The people enjoy to the fullest with steel bands, calypso music, lively parades, and tempting food.
- The citizens of the city come together as one to participate in this event. People wear colorful costumes and masks. Many of them also paint their faces in vibrant colors. The carnival is mostly organized on a weekend.
- It first took place in 1966, celebrating Caribbean culture and traditions in the city. Over the years, it has become one of the biggest carnivals in the world, attracting more than 50,000 performers. About 1 million people attend this carnival and enjoy delicious food and drinks along with electric tunes. This carnival is amongst the most awaited events in London.
Moreover, one can explore the city while parading on the streets. The city features some of the most amazing tourist attractions, such as The British Museum, Big Ben, Tower of London, and Churchill's War rooms.
4. Goa Carnival in Goa, India
Listed as one of the most popular holiday destinations in India, Goa is known for its beautiful scenic beaches and bustling nightlife. Besides, the Indian state is also known for hosting Goa Carnival. The event is organized with cheerful vibes as the people come together to parade on the streets, perform various types of dance forms, and play instrumental music. The people participating in the carnival are also seen in colorful designer costumes, masks, and painted faces.
- The history of Goa Carnival can be traced back to the time of the Portuguese when they ruled the state approximately 500 years ago. But, the culture of the carnival came from Ancient Rome and Greece that later on spread to the parts of Spain and Portugal. If you wish to catch the mood of Goa Carnival, all you need to do is participate along with the people in the parade as the event does not require any kind of entry pass. Notably, Goa is considered among the top destinations in India when it comes to carnival celebrations.
- When in Goa, one must explore famous tourist attractions, such as Calangute Beach, Basilica of Bom Jesus, Fort Aguada, Baga Beach, and Anjuna Beach. Here, you can indulge in thrill-inducing water sports too.
Whether you are visiting with your friends or family, this place is a must-visit, especially during the carnival season as you can witness the culture and traditions of the state along with enjoying delicious delicacies and exotic beverages.
5. Kochi Carnival in Kerala, India
Kochi, a port city in Kerala, is famous for its serene surroundings and scenic beaches. It features numerous tourist attractions, such as Fort Kochi, Cherai Beach, Willingdon Island, and Veeranpuzha Lake. The city is also well-known for hosting a grand carnival, namely Kochi Carnival where the people of the city come together to celebrate New Year’s Eve. This lively carnival is celebrated with delicious street food, pulsating music and incredible dance performances. People play cheerful music with instruments like trumpets, mouth organs, and drums.
Read more about - Witness the popular festivals celebrated in Kannur, Kerala
- Further, the people parade around the city in different costumes, colorful masks, and painted faces. The citizens of the city wait for the whole year to participate in this carnival with cheerful smiles and enthusiastic hearts.
- The carnival is organized at the famous Kochi Fort, making it a big event where hundreds of people from different parts of the world gather to celebrate New Year. Undoubtedly, this makes the best time to visit the city as you can enjoy it to the full and build memories for the lifetime with friends and family.
When it comes to how many countries celebrate carnivals? The answer is many but the above-listed cities are popular for organizing the most fun-filled carnivals in the world. So, get ready for some amazing experiences!
Related travel blogs