Posted 30 November 2022
Why travelling to Vijayawada is a cultural experience worth having
Vijayawada is one of the oldest Indian cities in the country and an important point of trade and commerce. The city is the third-largest in the southern part of the country and has developed along the River Krishna, making it one of the most scenic cities of India.
The city is a wonderful amalgamation of the old and new. The new town has impeccably designed modern buildings and celebrates modern architecture and design while the old town boasts of the city’s rich history and culture. There are a number of tourist attractions in Vijayawada that make this city a must-visit on your holiday.
As its name suggests, Vijayawada is the “Land of Victory”. The city is surrounded by water on three sides and mountains on the fourth side, which makes it naturally endowed with beauty and splendour. The culture and food here are absolutely worth the experience, along with the man-made and natural attractions.
Here are a few reasons to explore Vijayawada on your upcoming vacation:
1. Exciting natural attractions
- Bhavani Island: Take a break from city life and enjoy the peaceful surroundings of Bhavani Island. The island is surrounded by the waters of River Krishna, and benches and hammocks have been installed on the banks for people to relax and spend some time with nature.
- Rajiv Gandhi Park: This beautiful park has a number of gardens and quiet paths where you can enjoy a peaceful walk while admiring the lovely flowers that grow alongside the pathways. The park also features a musical fountain and a mini train ride which is quite enjoyable for children.
- Kolleru Lake: A freshwater lake, it is absolutely stunning and is flocked by migratory birds every year. The lake is a must-visit for bird watchers who will be able to spot Redshanks, Bill Storks, and Glossy ibises nesting and swimming in the lake.
- Gandhi Hill: This is a popular attraction in Vijayawada for the amazing view that it offers. The hill is very close to the city’s railway station, and Gandhi Hill Memorial is located here. The memorial houses a stupa, planetarium as well as a library. There is also a toy train ride available which is quite fun for children.
2. Amazing historical attractions
- Kondapalli Fort: The fort is also called Kondapalli Kota and is located on a hill. This structure is 700 years old and is flanked by forests with some amazing viewpoints. One can also enjoy a short trek on the hill by following one of the many trails around.
- Undavalli Caves: The Undavalli Caves are a popular tourist attraction in Vijayawada and are known to be quite famous in the State of Andhra Pradesh because of their rich historical significance. The caves are home to an ancient temple, which has Vaishnava gods and goddesses on its walls. The caves offer a stunning view of the surrounding hills. There is also a statue of Lord Buddha here which is approximately 5 metres long.
- Mogalarajapuram Caves: The caves are extremely old, almost 1500 years old and are a sight to behold. The design and structure of the caves are quite unique and worth seeing. The caves are home to the shrines of Ganesha and Natraja.
3. Must-visit religious spots
- Gunadala Matha Shrine: Also known by the name of St Mary’s Church, this tranquil church is considered sacred. It has been built on a hill and looks quite stunning when it is decorated with lights to celebrate Lady of the Lourdes.
- Mangalagiri Hill: Two temples, one of Lakshmi Narasimha and another of Sri Panakala Narasimha Swami sit on this hill. The architectural beauty and design of both temples are absolutely amazing. The Jain temple by the name of Hinkar Thirtha is also located on the Mangalagiri Hill and is a popular religious spot for tourists.
- Hazratbal Mosque: This is another attractive religious structure that should be on your list of reasons to explore Vijayawada on your upcoming vacation. The white mosque is very easily accessible as it is located right in the heart of the city.
- Kanaka Durga Temple: Located on the banks of the River Krishna, this temple is shadowed by the Indrakiladri Hills. The temple is a Dravidian-style shrine of Goddess Durga. The temple is in close proximity to Bhavani island and Gandhi hill. This temple is flocked by tourists all year round because of its unique design and stunning structure.
- ISKCON Temple: Visit the ISKCON temple for some peace and tranquillity. Although the complex of the temple is not very big, you will find a number of tourists and devotees spending some quality time in this peaceful temple.
4. Recreational places you cannot miss
- Besant Road: Every local recognises Besant Road in Vijayawada. This is a popular shopping and recreational spot in the city. Besant Road has some of the best flea markets in the city and is considered a shopper’s paradise. You will find great handmade products, material for suits and kurtis as well as jewellery here. There are also many eateries and restaurants on this road, which are extremely popular for their authentic Andhra meals.
- VMC Disney land: A great spot to spend the day with family and friends, this water park has some amazing water rides and pools. The water park is heaven for children and adults as they enjoy the various swimming pools and rides here. Aqua dancing is quite popular in the park, where family and friends have a lovely time dancing in the water to different tunes of music. The water park should definitely be on your itinerary if you plan to stay in Vijayawada for a few days.
- Haailand: This is another popular theme park and resort in the city which has water parks, thriller rides, and adventure rides. If you get hungry in between rides, you can choose from a variety of fine dining options in Haailand. There are also live performances and music here, along with a number of retail outlets for those who love shopping. Spend a fun-filled day in this theme park with family and friends.
- Scrap Sculpture Park: This park will offer you one of the most unique experiences on your vacation to Vijayawada. The park showcases a number of stunning and absolutely mind-blowing scrap installations in the midst of natural beauty. Each and every installation is built from scrap metal and the sculptures range from animals to vehicles to humans. There is also a children’s park here and plenty of space for people to sit and relax while they discuss the unique art in the park.
- If your travel plans are scheduled for the summer months, make sure to carry light summer wear and stay hydrated.
- Don’t miss exploring the handicrafts and jewellery markets when visiting Vijayawada.
How to reach Vijayawada?
- By road: The city is easily accessible via road as a number of buses, both state-owned and private, are available to different cities in the country. Vijayawada is also well connected to other cities and towns in the state of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, with regular buses to Hyderabad, Rajahmundry, etc.
- By rail: Vijayawada has the biggest railway junction in India, with approximately 300 trains stopping at the station every day. Thus, taking a train to Vijayawada from anywhere in India is quite convenient. Direct trains to the city are available from major cities like Mumbai, Chennai and Bengaluru.
- By air: The Vijayawada airport is absolutely stunning and easily connected to the city by public and private transport. Non-stop IndiGo flights to Vijayawada are available from major cities like Hyderabad, Kolkata, Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai.
Vijayawada experiences a tropical climate with hot summers and cold winters. The hottest month is May while the coolest months are December and January. Summers span from March-June and the winter months are November-February. Most of the rainfall is during the summer months and monsoons, which begins from June and lasts till September.
Best time to travel
The best time to travel to most cities in India is generally during the winter months when the temperature is cool and dry. It is the same with Vijayawada. End of October to February is a great time to plan a vacation in Vijayawada and enjoy the tourist attractions and culture of the city. A number of amazing festivals like the Deccan Festival, Diwali, and Lumbini Festival are celebrated with great fervour and excitement during this time of the year.
Vijayawada offers tourists an amazing experience of natural beauty, history, art, and culture. The city is not only a trade and commerce hub but also has life and soul which are reflected through the ancient structures and attractive temples located here. There are also a number of museums that one should visit including the Amaravati Museum. One should not miss out on shopping or local food here. The locals in Vijayawada are quite friendly and more than happy to help, which makes it a great place for tourists to explore.
Related travel blogs