Posted 27 December 2022
Why Kufri is truly magical to experience during the winters
They say the sun shines brightest on the top of the hills. That is one of the reasons why we all love going to hill stations! Speaking of one such hill station, Kufri is located at a short distance from Shimla, in Himachal Pradesh. The hill station is surrounded by the Himalayan ranges and it is very beautiful. It is especially popular amongst couples and young friends out on a trip.
The city is bright and sunny in the summers, with blue skies and green landscapes. In winters, the town turns into a fairyland — white with a beautiful snowfall. The hill station boasts huge pine trees, lots of flora and fauna and cute little cafes. The place is surrounded on all sides by snow-capped mountains. The gem of the city is the National Park, which houses about 31 species of animals and over 150 species of plants.
The hill station also offers a lot of amazing adventure activities like trekking, skiing and lots more. The donkey ride on the hills is also a very popular activity here. You can also try Go-Karting and try the rides of Kufri Fun World. The hill station has lots of treasures in store for you, be it parks, beautiful views of the mountains and forests and lots of adventurous activities!
Read more about - Twenty hill stations in India that are the perfect holiday spots for mountain lovers
Best places to visit in Kufri
- Kufri Fun Word: It is one of the highest amusement parks in the world! It gives you aview of snow-capped Himalayan peaks, making it one of the most beautiful locations in the place. The place also has the highest Go-Karting track in the world. If you love adventure, then you must head over to this place.
- Himalayan National Park: If you are a lover of flora and fauna, then this place is a must-visit. The park is home to 180 species of birds. The place also offers a trekking experience. The trek can last for approximately five to eight days. You must head over to this place for a wonderful experience in the lap of
- Mahasu Peak: It is the highest peak in Kufri. You can reach this place on a horse or mule back. Once you are at the top of the peak, you will get a fantastic view of the hill station and the mountains and forests surrounding it. It is an experience worth capturing on your cameras and in your minds forever.
- Kufri Zoo: For people who would like to explore the wildlife of Kufri, you should go to Kufri Zoo. The place offers you a diverse range of animals like Sambar, Barking Deer, Musk Deer, Black Bear and more. There is also a huge collection of trees in the zoo, like deodar trees, blue pine, fir and more.
- Indira Tourist Park: The Indira Tourist Park is located close to the Himalayan National Park. The place offers a really peaceful surrounding, with sunshine, greenery and a beautiful breeze. Here, you can enjoy a fun picnic with your family and friends and make the most of your trip to the hills.
Best markets for shopping in Kufri
We all love to go shopping while we are on a trip. We ideally look for local markets that have a lot to offer. Mall Road is one of the most popular markets in Kufri. You can find everything that you need at this market. You can shop for woollen shawls, caps, sweaters and lots more. This is also a good place to buy souvenirs for your friends and family back home. You must also get lots of photos clicked at this place.
Activities to do in winters in Kufri
- Yak or Horse Ride: A trip to Kufri is incomplete without the really popular Yak or horse ride. It is one of the most interesting things to do in winter in Kufri. On your ride, a guide will accompany you and will make sure that you are taken around safely. These animals can easily walk over the snow, so you have nothing to worry about. Meanwhile, you can take the pleasure of exploring the winter whiteness of the hill station.
- Skiing: It is obvious that a trip to the mountains is incomplete without skiing. If you are an adventure lover, then you must go for this activity for sure. Skiing is one of the most thrilling activities to try in December in Kufri. You will find all types of slopes for skiing, from beginners to advanced levels.
- Tobogganing: This is a rather unique and fun activity to do in Kufri. It is not exactly like sledging but more like a modified version of it. In this activity, people are ridden down a snowy slope using a modified sledge. Since it is an activity that you might not have come across anywhere, you must give it a try.
- Explore the Bazaar: Wintertime is a great time to explore the market of Kufri. This is because the markets are full of woollen clothes, from caps to sweaters, jackets and more. They have a great collection of these woollens, something which you can buy and take home with you.
- Kufri Fun World: During the winters, it is also possible for you to visit the Kufri Fun World. It is possible that some rides might be prohibited due to the snow, but you can feast your eyes on the white expanse of snow covering the huge area. It will surely be nothing less than a true adventure!
Explore the food in Kufri
As you explore the beautiful hill station of Kufri, you might also want to taste the place’s local food. Here are some suggestions of the things that you can try while happily shopping and sightseeing in Kufri. The forest thing that is worth trying in the hill station is Channa Madra. It is one of the most popular Himachali cuisines that is served during every cultural festival. It is a gravy dish, prepared with yoghurt and chickpeas. You can have this dish with rice or bread. You can also add some dry fruits to it.
If you’re travelling in winters and are looking for food, which will warm you up, then go for Siddus. Made of flour and poppy seeds paste, this dish is made with lots of ghee. In addition to that, you can also try Auraiya Kadoo in Kufri. The dish is full of spices, so it is heaven in case you love spicy food. Spicy food is good during winters as it warms your body and helps in building immunity. It is made of ripe pumpkin and dried mango.
If you are looking for non-vegetarian food, then try Chicken Anardana. It is again a spicy and tangy dish, which will definitely be filling. The main ingredient of the dish is pomegranate seeds. The dish has a smoky flavour and can be eaten with triangle flatbreads and paranthas.
Travel tips before visiting Kufri
- Kufri is a place that experiences extreme winters. So, if you are visiting Kufri during that time, make sure that you pack well for the trip. Carry lots of woollen clothes, comfortable shoes, mufflers and gloves.
- It is difficult to find ATMs in Kufri other than the main city. So when you are exploring the place, make sure you have sufficient cash with you.
- While visiting different peaks, make sure you do that on horseback. The roads are muddy and uneven, so you might not be able to walk properly.
- Please pack your medicines when you travel to Kufri. For people who have breathing problems, do carry your medical equipment.
- You might need permission to travel to different spots in Kufri. For that, you will need your identification documents. So make sure you carry them.
How to reach Kufri?
- By air: The closest route to Kufri via air is Shimla’s Jubbarhatti Airport, which is located about 22 km from Shimla. There are a limited number of flights connecting this airport to other cities in India, so make sure you plan accordingly.
- By train: The nearest railway station to Kufri is Shimla Railway Station, which is located about 13 km from Kufri. The railway station connects major cities in India, like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and more. You can find cabs and buses plying between the railway station and Kufri at regular intervals.
- By road: You can also drive all the way to Kufri, as the road networks in India have been well-developed now. Alternatively, you can choose a bus as you will find many buses travelling on the route to Kufri.
How to get around in Kufri
Transportation isn’t very difficult in Kufri. The best option is to travel on a local bus. The bus network is well-developed and there are buses travelling at set intervals of time. You can also go for cabs and taxis for getting around if the destination is far off. However, the best way to explore the hill station and get some fresh air into your system is by walking. So, walk as much as you can!
Climate of Kufri
The climate of Kufri is warm and temperate. In winters, the hill station experiences less rainfall but a lot of snow. In summers, the place experiences more rainfall.
Best time to visit Kufri
The best time to visit Kufri is during the months from November to March. This is the time when the hill station experiences snowfall. So if you want to witness the winter and snowfall in Kufri, this is the best time to plan a trip to the hill station. It is also the time when you can try activities like skiing. Summer months, which are from April to June, are beautiful and bright. It is also a good time to visit the city.
Kufri is truly a place of wonders. It is one of those places that you can visit in almost any season! While summers give you a lot of time to bask in the sunlight, with clear blue skies and a warm breeze, winters turn the hill station into a fairyland. It is the perfect time for adventurous activities like skiing and horse riding.
Related travel blogs