Posted 27 December 2022
From shopping to food, here’s where you should go to enjoy Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi is one of the most important emirates of the United Arab Emirates. The place is the seat of the government. It also happens to be the home to many important oil companies. The city is known for its glow and glamour, its huge green spaces, high-rise buildings, clean roads, luxurious shopping malls and hotels.
The great thing about the city is that Abu Dhabi displays at once the rich cultural heritage in the form of its architecture, its traditions and its food while showcasing its future self. The city, thus, has one foot deeply rooted in the future, towards which it is constantly working.
Abu Dhabi offers a variety of experiences to tourists. From adventure to cultural exploration, everything is possible in Abu Dhabi. So, you can have a great time at the popular Ferrari World, one of the treasures of Abu Dhabi. You can also visit the Eastern Mangrove Lagoon National Park, which is a lush green space meant for casually strolling around. Besides, you can visit numerous different mosques and tombs to get a glimpse of the culture in Abu Dhabi.
Read more about - Abu Dhabi Do! Here’s Everything to do in the capital city of UAE
Best places to go in Abu Dhabi when you are a shopaholic
- Abu Dhabi Date Market: Dates are the traditional fruit of Arabian It is an important part of the meals as well. Hence, there is a huge market that is dedicated to just dates! Locally, it is known as the Mina Dates Market. The market is really popular among tourists, and people from far away come to taste the traditional fruit. You will find the best quality dates here at reasonable prices.
- Gold Souk: The Gold Souk of Abu Dhabi is popular across the globe. Offering the best and latest designs, it is really a place worth visiting. If you are a true lover of gold, then you should definitely buy something from this place. Just to look at gold necklaces of all shapes and sizes being showcased through glass windows is an experience in itself!
- Souk Al Zafarana: Another really important market in Abu Dhabi, Soul Al Zafarana offers you a wide range of regional products. Here, you can find traditional garments, fruits and vegetables, souvenirs and a lot of spices. The spices, with their aroma and colour, are worth every penny.
- Abu Dhabi Central Market: The central market is one of the most visited markets in Abu Dhabi. The place was once a major spot for trade and commerce activities. Today, it offers a range of products like attar perfumes, branded clothes, antiques, accessories and a lot of food options.
- Carpet Souk: What is really interesting about Abu Dhabi is that it offers you a huge variety of carpets! These carpets, with different colours and beautiful designs, will surely be a treat to your eyes. These are intricate Persian patterns that will increase the charm of your living rooms. This place offers carpets, prayer rugs and mattresses at affordable rates.
Places to visit in Abu Dhabi
- Sheikh Zayad Mosque: One of the true prides of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Zayad Mosque is indeed a marvel made by mankind. The mosque can accommodate about 50,000 people at one point, it is that huge! You will definitely fall in love with the intricate detailing of the mosque, its domes, minarets, carpets, chandeliers and its serenity.
- Emirates Palace: The Emirates Palace is really luxury personified. It is a luxury 7-star hotel that has become one of the most iconic landmarks of the city. The place has beautiful architecture along with green spaces and blue waters surrounding the area. There are also many restaurants for people to dine in.
- Yas Island: In case you are looking for something fun to do in Abu Dhabi, you must head over to Yas Island. The place offers you a lot of activities, entertainment and shopping. The place is also home to the Marina Circuit, where the Formula One Race was held in 2009. There are plenty of amusement parks, a golf course, open-air concerts and music festivals being organised here.
- Ferrari World: One of the most popular tourist destinations, Ferrari World is an amusement park that is designed for people of all age groups. The park has some of the most popular rides like the Flying Aces, Turbo Track, Scuderia Challenge and the world’s fastest roller coaster, Formula Rossa. In addition to rides, the park offers shopping places and a lot of food outlets.
- Desert Safari: A trip to the desert is incomplete without a desert safari. The safari takes you to tour the sands on a motor vehicle. Tourists are free to choose whether they want a morning, evening or night safari. The package of the desert safari also includes a camel ride, quad biking, barbeque dinners and dances.
Dishes to try in Abu Dhabi
- Samboosa: If you are looking for crunchy street food, then Samboosa is a good option. It is a version of Samosa, with a lot of meat filling. The meat can be beef mince, chicken or lamb. Potatoes and peas are also stuffed into it. You can find it at any nook and corner of Abu Dhabi.
- Shawarma: Shawarma is a must-try dish in Abu Dhabi. It is made of tender, juicy chicken or lamb meat, along with a sauce. This is wrapped up in Lebanese bread. It is one of the most favourite street foods of locals and tourists alike in Abu Dhabi.
- Manakkish: Resembling a pizza, Manakkish is another roadside food item that is really loved. It is made of flatbreads with lots of cheese, vegetables and meat on top of it. You have a choice for the meat toppings, it can be chicken or lamb. Vegetarians can choose from more vegetables in Manakkish. It is filling and delicious.
- Shish Tawouk Sandwich: This one is a dish that is extremely popular with the locals. You can find it in any food stall. The dish is made of Shish kebab with thin chicken pieces, vegetables, herbs, spices and flatbread. Generally, the dish is paired with fries and pickles, which make it yummy and extremely filling.
- Chips Oman Roll: Another very popular local dish is Chips Oman Roll. This dish can be found in any tea shop or food stall in Abu Dhabi. The dish is made of Oman Chips, which is a popular local chips brand. It has cheese, tabasco sauce, olive oil and lots of chips. It is a good dish to have while you are on the move.
Travel tips before visiting Abu Dhabi
- Pack according to the weather. If you are going to Abu Dhabi during the summers, then you need to pack light clothes.
- You must be aware that in Abu Dhabi, it is better to wear clothes that keep your body covered. Women need to wear headscarves while visiting mosques.
- Make sure you keep yourself hydrated as you explore Abu Dhabi. The weather there might dehydrate you quickly, so keep water bottles handy at all times.
- Book your flight ticket to Abu Dhabi at the earliest, that is, at least three months in advance.
- When you are in Abu Dhabi, make sure that you have your identity documents with you at all times.
- Drinking in Abu Dhabi should be limited to licensed bars and restaurants only.
- During the Holy month of Ramadan, Muslims do not drink or eat during daylight hours. If you are planning a trip around that time, then please respect the religious sentiments of the locals there and do not eat or drink in public during those hours.
How to reach Abu Dhabi?
- By air: Abu Dhabi International Airport is one of the busiest airports, which connects different cities to Abu Dhabi, like Mumbai, Colombo, London, San Francisco, Istanbul and Amsterdam. There are many airlines available, such as IndiGo, which operate flights to Abu Dhabi at regular intervals of time. So, tourists have different time options to choose from.
- By train: The train network in Abu Dhabi hasn’t been fully developed yet. However, there is a high-speed train between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, with a travel time of 25 minutes.
- By road: You can travel by road to Abu Dhabi from other Emirates, like Sharjah and Dubai. There are buses that ply at 30-minute intervals between Abu Dhabi and other cities.
How to get around in Abu Dhabi
Getting around Abu Dhabi is easy and convenient. You have many transportation options to choose from. You can go for taxis since that is the most convenient. The fares for each kilometre are fixed, so you don’t need to worry about paying extra. You can also choose to hire a bicycle, to make your travel eco-friendly and healthy for you. You can also go for self-drive cars which are easily available all around Abu Dhabi.
Best time to visit Abu Dhabi
The best time to visit Abu Dhabi is between the months of April and May. You can also plan your trip between the months of September and October. The spring and fall are the two best seasons when tourists can plan their trips to Abu Dhabi. The weather during this time is really pleasant, and it is perfect for roaming around the city. You can also visit during the wintertime, from December to March.
Climate of Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi experiences a hot and humid climate during the months from June to September. Maximum temperatures during this time can touch 41 degrees Celsius.
Abu Dhabi is a city of contrasts. While on one side, it has a foot firmly set in the future, on the other side, it is really proud of its culture, heritage and traditions. The same can be seen in the way it showcases its architecture, cultural activities and local food to the world. It is truly a place worth visiting.
Related travel blogs